R. Craig Starns A.C.M.S. CERTIFIED MARINE SURVEYOR, MIIMS
- Starns Marine Professional Services was founded in 1988 by R. Craig Starns. Starns comes from a lifetime background of marine activity. In 1972 Starns earned his 100 ton captain's license and he graduated from Florida State University in 1975. Starns was captain/engineer on numerous private and charter yachts, small passenger vessels, offshore oil industry vessels, and research vessels prior to 1988.
- Starns has specialized in providing marine surveying and consulting services for owners, operators, charterers, insurers, lenders, builders, and litigants of yachts and small craft throughout Florida and internationally. Starns has provided loss control marine survey services to major marine insurance underwriters and vessel appraisal marine survey services to major marine lending institutions. Click here for a summary of services.
- Member International Institute of Marine Surveying MIIMS.
- Certified by the Association of Certified Marine Surveyors.
- Member of the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers.
- Starns holds a certificate in commercial hull surveying from the State University System of New York Maritime College.
- Starns holds a certificate in applied crane rigging practices from CraneTech.
- Starns holds a certificate in securing non-standardized cargo in accordance with Annex 13 of the IMO code of Safe Practice for Cargo and Securing from the National Cargo Bureau, Inc..
- Starns holds an American Boat & Yacht Council certification in Marine Systems and Marine Electrical.
- Listed on Boat U. S. marine surveyor referral list.
- Factory trained on Caterpillar C18 and C30 series marine engines, MTU/DDC 183 series marine engines, MAN 760 D28LE series marine engines, and Atlas Shorpower systems.
- Member of the Cruising Club of America.
- Member Tampa Bay Mariners Club.
- Member Propeller Club of Tampa.
Fee schedule & references are available upon request.
All of Starns projects embrace one or more of the following standards:
- The United States Coast Guard (USCG)
- The American Yacht and Boat Council (ABYC)
- The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
- Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL)
- The American Bureau of Shipping (ABS)
- Lloyd's Register of Shipping
- Det Norske Veritas (DNV)
- The International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
- The International Maritime Organization (IMO)
- The Maritime and Coast Guard Agency (MCA)
- Registro Italiano Navale (RINA)
- Unified Container Inspection & Repair Criteria (UCIRC)